Van Cleve wrote:
> I may just have wanted an excuse to go on a little
> road trip with my  "new to me" "94"Dodge  PU with the 5.9 Cummens.  Oh ya,
> I towed the dolly, just in case It turned out to be for real. The new
> trucks has a 5 speed (has #5 on shift knob),

The weak point on that NV4500, is a nut falling off that's supposed
to hold fifth gear. The Getrag that was in the 1989-1993 had a weak fifth
gear that was prone to failure from heavy loads, so I guess the New Venture
box was an improvement. In 1998, the "fifth gear nut" was revised, and I believe
it can be installed as a retrofit.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132489

Oh, yea, I almost forgot about the Killer Dowel Pin: two locating pins
align the timing case to the front of the block. One of the dowel pin
holes in the timing case is blind, the other is bored straight through.
Guess what happens if the pin falls out of the through hole and gets in
the timing chain?
Two fixes I know of:
1. Take off the timing cover, remove the bolt closest to the KDP, reinstall
with a steel tab under the bolt that covers the KDP hole.
2. With the appropriate jig, drill and tap a hole in the timing cover, directly
over the KDP, and stick a screw in the hole to block the KDP.