Dan,

First, I noticed that Marshall has already stated that it's untrue.

I've owned 15 Mercedes to date 8 diesel & 7 gas. My two 300E's both went to
250,000 miles, one with no problems and the other with a dropped valve at
200,000 miles. When the head was pulled on the one with the dropped valve,
the cylinders were inspected and showed no signs of wear. I consider the
droped valve a random failure that could have happened to any of them. Both
300E's were sold at 250,000 miles, not because they were tired but because I
decided to go back to diesel. I drive a lit of miles and I figured that an
all mechanical engine was less likely to fail on the road.

My other gassers already had well over 200,000 miles on the clock when I
bought them and all ran well, with no signs of blowby.

So, 7 out of 7, all with over 200,000 miles - you decide.

Also, I've had friends in the SF Bay area take their 420 SEL's to well over
500,000 miles. The engines go the distance but the heads usually need
attention at 300,000 miles and at 600,000 miles.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
256-656-1924
http://stores.ebay.com/Tom-Hargrave-Sales