Heard a belt squealing yesterday, thought "I better replace that before it breaks." Today on the way home -- it broke. AND it was the water pump belt. And, I never noticed, it looks like there are supposed to be two belts on the water pump for redundancy, but alas on mine one was already gone or had never been installed last time they were changed. The other belts look pretty well used up also.

So now the car is parked at the mall, and I'm wondering if I can replace the belts right there without a lot of hassle. Ideally I'll show up with new belts and a few wrenches, and change them out. OTOH, that's REALLY putting a dent in my plans for this weekend, and I have no real desire to spend hours in 90 degree heat + humidity trying to change a few belts.

Is there ANYTHING out of the ordinary about changing out the belts on a W123? I am within a few blocks of a national chain repair shop (Firestone) so even without the water pump I could probably make it over there. Is there ANY reason to suspect that they might muff the job if I take it there? This particular shop does have a fairly good local reputation.

OR I could get one of those "emergency" belts and try to get home on that (about 10 miles from where the car is parked). Anyone know if they actually work?

Allan
--
1983 300D
1966 230