The problem turns out to be a worn out ball socket attaching the ball that rotates on the motor to the stamped piece that translates the rotational motion into reciprocating motion. When the ball socket wears, the arm drops off, and no wipers.

The two tricks to the job are 1. understanding that this wiper is accessible from under the hood and 2. figuring out that the covers lift off the nuts on the wiper arms and the little lugs that hold them in place are toward the joint and the sides of the covers can be pried out in this area.

Still unclear if the ball and socket can be ordered or if I have to get a whole assembly. It was after Rusty's hours by the time I got it apart to figure out the problem.