Some of the rebuilds fail very shortly after installation or are dead
out of the box.  However, used compressors can be a bad deal and fail
shortly as well.  Similar to a sitting water pump - if it ain't been
used in a while, the chance of failure after its put into service
seems to jump dramatically.

Brian