In a message dated 7/7/2005 2:31:29 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

How do  you know your condenser is malfunctioning. Unless your points are
burning  badly in a short period or you have a hot start problem, the
condenser is  fine. I know: everyone changes them when they change
points. I do not; I  rarely change condensers. My points last as long as
those that have the  condenser changed.

bigpups said the engine will start and idle pretty good but it would never
make any power and now it is even hard to restart.  These are the exact
symptoms of a failing condenser (capacitor)!  They work when they are cold  but
as
soon as they are heated up, they begin to fail.  The spark at idle  is often
sufficient to fire the plugs but the failing capacitor will have  weakened the
spark so that combustion under load will blow the spark  out.   WE DON'T KNOW
if this is his problem, but you can't remove  it and get a decent test either.
The capacitor stores primary voltage so  that the coil may create a STRONGER
secondary spark.

An electrolyte condenser has a limited life, maybe 8 to 12 years.   That's
why you don't need to change them with the points.  But, how old do  you think
this one is?

I would spend the $14 bucks.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ