  From: Curt Raymond
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:51 PM
  Subject: [MBZ] STUPID CAR!!!

  So I'd gotten to the point where I was thinking I'd keep my 240D. John
Peterson's '90 300D has been beckoning and I know of a 190D 2.2l 5spd that
might be for sale that was calling my name, but Monday we fixed some little
annoying things and put in the new mats I bought a year ago and I was feeling
pretty good about the car. Its got a dragging brake but it was going in
Wednesday to get that fixed.
  SO this morning it barely cranked over, uh oh... I thought maybe I was
smelling something last night driving home. Well the optimist in me says maybe
the battery is just crapping out or maybe the belt was slipping a little last
night in the rain, so on to work... Tonight to get home I had to roll the car
across the parking lot to get it started. It took the WHOLE parking lot, I had
maybe 10 feet to spare.
  Got home, opened the hood and I can detect the smell of the magic electronic
smoke. Hello Houston I think we've got yet another dead alternator. Battery
reads 13+ until I turn on the lights when it reads barely 12. I say ANOTHER
dead alternator because the one that came with the car lost its bearings about
a month ago, the next alternator lasted about 1 mile away from the shop. So
that brings us to 3... Dang.

  Anyway I *think* I've reached my breaking point this car is just sapping my
energy. Anybody want a 240D? The way it sits this minute I'd take $700, if I
fix the dragging brake, alternator and replace the missing hubcap it'd be $800.
  Int he past year: new mats, new front windowseal (rear needs doing but
doesn't leak too bad), new radiator, new brake pads, fresh change w/Mobil 1
(used for the last 20,000 miles), new clutch and driveshaft bearing, both fuel
filters changed last week, new headlights, new glowplugs, tires, front wheel
bearings.
  Sunroof works good, the car drives nice. The AC doesn't work(siezed
compressor), the clearcoat is peeling badly so it looks like it has mange, the
rear window seal leaks, driver's seat has a small hole in the back, the hood
has some rust and the right power mirror doesn't work.

  -Curt
  '83 240D "Hammie" 241kmi - On the block!

  Yahoo! Mail