Like Joe says, there's a spring on the 124. In fact, there is enough slack
in my S124 that pushing away from the floor on the pedal turns off the
brake light, but so does operating the car for about forty miles on the
highway.

That particular S124 is somewhat rusty (swiss cheesed by CA standards,
but mint condition for chicago or new york standards), so it's problem
could be a lazy return spring, or just weirdness induced from life in
the salt belt.

If it's not a spring (which surprises me, since my lesser marques have
springs too), it's likely slack in the e-brake mechanism, which could require
someone removing the rear wheels and rotors for adjustment or replacement of
the e-brake shoes.