On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 8:42:39 -0400, meadedillon wrote
> Keep those idea's flowing!  It's curious that the 'hitches-4-less'
> says it's a class 2, only rated for 2500 lbs, but their FAQ says
> that class 2 hitches are rated for 3500 lbs.  Hmmm - I guess the
> manufacturer has downgraded it for this application?

Yes, probably.  It might be a vehicle limitation.  It can be hard to find
solid enough attachment points for really heavy loads, on unibody cars.
Tongue weight is often sharply limited, too.  My Volvo was rated for up to
3,300 pounds of towed weight but only 300 pounds of tongue weight, which isn't
very much for a trailer that size.  (Generally you want the tongue weight to
be 10 to 15% of the trailer weight, for stable towing.)