Remove rubber strip completely, under that you will see 2 plastic holder deals that fit in slots in the bumper. Those have slipped out. What you need to do is but them back, then if you can you can put a small screw in the end of both to keep them from sliding back out(there is supposed to be a plastic tab that keeps them from sliding but it probably has broken. After you get the plastic holders secured, put the rubber strip back on. The way you do that is get the backside good and wet with soapy water. Starting from the middle bend the rubber strip in half so the channel widens. Then you can slip it on the plastic holder. Just have to work it out from the middle by bending and fitting it on there. Most times you will need a rubber hammer or even a regular hammer, and just tap it back in accross the surface of it. It sounds hard but its really easy, you will probably just have to get into it and you will see what I am talking about. The alternative is the cheesy approach which I have seen done is to drill holes and put screws in from the outside. That looks bad and there is really no reason to do it when the correct fix is easy enough.

Tom Harruff wrote:

Is there any trick to reattaching the rubber strip on the back bumper of my 85 300D? It looks like slots in the bumper and a key on the rubber strip but I don't see any way to cause the key to stay in the slot because of the cover behind the bumper. I have tried a rubber mallet to bring the rubber strip toward the middle to try to cause the keys on the rubber strip to engage the slots but it does not seem to hold. Any help or BTDT appreciated. Thanks. Tom Harruff
Naples, FL
1985 300Dt (Diesel Dolly)
1994 C280 (Wife's Car)
2000 Sedan Deville (Road Car)