I'm not sure you understand.  Its the wire BETWEEN the door and the
unibody.  You can ONLY see the wires with the door open and moving the
black wire/vacuum line wrap/protector loose.  That is where the wire
breaks because it cracks from the opening and closing of the door over
the years.  No need to remove the door panel or replace the entire
section of wire unless you need to get more freeplay to splice in a
new piece.

Interesting. I had originally tried to move that accordion black rubber
(which seems to be the only place the wires can be), but it's quite content sitting where it is and doesn't want to budge from either direction, so I gave up on that route for now. I tried it again today, and it still isn't
interested in exposing its wires.

Is there a trick to pulling that thing back, or am I barking up the
wrong tree (again)?

There's no trick as far as I know. I've never had any trouble pulling the accordion-thing loose on my 124s. It's just a friction fit. The hard part is getting it back into place! (Spraying it with a little soapy water helps.)

BTW, I've also found that you almost always DO need to pull the door panel and loosen the clips holding the wires to the door in order to fix them... there just isn't enough slack to work with otherwise. Good time to lube the window and lock mechanisms, clean the seat switch terminals, etc.

Alex Chamberlain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
'87 300D Turbo
'01 VW Beetle TDI (wife's)