My brother had a '60 beetle that he swapped a Porsche 356 1500S twin carb engine and aluminum transaxle into back in the seventies. It was a straight, bolt-in proposition and looked completely stock beetle from the outside. He used to win drag races with (very surprised!) Mustang IIs. It would easily do 90, at which point, I recall, it ran out of speedometer. Handling was downright scary, as the thing would virtually pivot around it's front wheels, and there was plenty of power-to-weight for throttle steering. Lots 'o fun.

I believe those would have been the old 36hp engines. Later beetles put out 40hp or more.

My 1960 Karmann Ghia would do up to 90mph on the flat- when I had enough time to get it there...

--
Dan Weeks
82 VW Westfalia 1.6 TD conversion 175k