From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Marshall Booth
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:33 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240D Manual Gearbox Fluid

Tarek Elshenawy wrote:
> Hello all. I am going to change the fluid in my manual trans on my 240D. I
> noticed the owner's manual recommends 10W-20 motor oil for the trans. Why
> not put gear oil like I'm used to? In addition, isin't 10W-20 hard to
find?
> Thanks.
>
> Tarek

EP gear oil will destroy the synchros in a Mercedes transmission. 10-30
Mobil 1 will work fine and Mobil 1 ATF works even better. Any standard
ATF will work alright, but Mobil 1 ATF works in Mercedes manual
transmissions better than anything I've ever tried.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0
159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
       Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
     http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm