Redghost wrote:

<<<There is also the use of non grain feed stock which may increase the
btu available.  Somebody is using the left over chaff and processing
that into fuel so more plant matter is able to provide sugars.>>>

Over the last 20 or so years, there have been a number of research efforts to
hydrolyze cellulose into starch, then into sugar for fermentation.  Cellulose
is in straw, corn stover, saw grass, and many other plentiful biomasses.  But
this process takes a cellulase enzyme which has not yet been demonstrated to
be cost effective.  A Canadian company is currently looking for government
funds and investors to build a large and expensive cellulose based ethanol
plant.
 But I would not invest any of my money in this one.  That company shares no
meaningful technical or economic data about their proposed plant.

But when somebody solves the puzzle about how to cost effectively turn
cellulose into alcohol -  look out - petroleum will be history.

Ned Kleinhenz
'95 E300D x2
'85 300D
80 300TD