Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 3:46 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Carbon Deposits

Thanks for all the wonderful insight about wheel bearings. I consider
a little dressing down by Marshall to be an honor and will endure
embarrassment to get the good info.

I have about 1/2" of carbon deposits on the inside top rim of the
cylinder walls. How should I remove it? Would prefer not to grind off
any metal in the process. Wiping with kerosene got the easy stuff off.
I'm thinking Easy-Off oven cleaner or something....

Thanks

-Dave Walton
94 S350
99 E300

On 7/23/05, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Marshall Booth wrote:
> Measuring wheel bearing play is clearly outlined in section 33-300 of
> the workshop manual (attached). There is no other way to measure the
> 0.0004-0.0008" play of 123/126s with sufficient accuracy to insure that
> the car steers like a Mercedes and not like American iron!

Okay, I gotta admit, this is the one argument I don't understand.

I'm not saying I think the wheel bearings should be set without a dial
indicator.  If Mercedes says that's how you get the best life out of
them. I'm inclined to believe them.

I just don't understand how setting the wheel bearings properly is
supposed to help with steering feel.  These aren't rack-and-pinion
steering cars.  They're pitman arm, and like every other pitman arm car
I've driven they have a good inch or two of play at the steering wheel
rim.  It's the nature of the beast, and it's because the pitman arm
design amplifies any slop in the steering box and tie rods.  It doesn't
matter how tightly you adjust the bearings, the car is still going to
have a big dead spot in the center.  It's never going to be "precise"
like a rack-and-pinion car.

Am I missing something subtle here?