Mike -
You're missing the point Marshall is trying to make here. the Benz is
designed to rely on precision tolerances. This is very typical of German
machinery. The Japanese products are more along the lines of our stuff,
where they were designed with less critical tolerances. Just because one
thing seems similar to another doesn't make it the same. I understand that
in many cases one can get by with "fudging" at bit on the proper
maintenance, but there is usually a price to pay because of it in the end.
The factory boys know their hardware better than anyone else and don't
require these procedures because they think it just looks better. They have
put many years of research into the way they do things. Do the Japanese
really have a better easier way to do things? As Ned said, only time will
tell. I hope that the folks that maintain the airplanes that you fly in
don't share Dan's view of cutting corners, just because he has always been
able to get away with it. :^O
As far as comparing the current crop of M/B cars to Japanese cars. Right now
I believe that the Japanese may have an advantage, because for the last
little while the Germans decided to give the "bean counters" a bigger say in
how their cars are made, and quality has suffered a bit because of it. I
believe that I heard they are going back to letting the engineers make more
of those decisions in the future to try and regain their technological
superiority. Lets hope so.
By the way Dan, I take issue to your insinuation that that I am less
intelligent because I personally  believe the factory knows it machinery
better than the average mechanic that works in the field, and because of
that I have decided to follow the published procedures. Nor do I believe
that folks that don't like to follow the published procedures are
necessarily misfits. Maybe just a little lucky. ;^)

Barry