Are you sure the alt needs to be replaced?  I hear they last forever and about
all that goes wrong is the regulator/brushes going bad.  This is the little
piece that mounts on the bottom rear of the alt.  Has 2 phillips screws.
Remove it and see if the brushes are really worn or charred.  I think (not much
experience in this) that about the only way the actual alt failes is seizing or
a bad bearing.  I'm sure there are more on the list that have more experience
with this.
Luther

----
I am in the middle of replacing the alternator on my 85 300D.

Luther   KB5QHU
Alma, Ark
'83 300SD (happily running diesel/WVO mix)
'82 300CD slate grey, black interior, 152,xxx mi