John,
Last time I was into the dealer with my 1995 E300D, they told me that
there is outstanding recall for my car.

This recall was "for wrapping some wires in under the floor"...  don't
know the details but I plan on taking it back for the recall.

I wonder if this has any correlation to your discovery?

Might be worth checking with your dealer.

Jan Guthrie
1995 E300D
1987 300TD
1985 300TD