I don't find anything directly relating to allowable 'play', Kevin,
but the manual does stipulate that the allowable tolerance for the id
of the exhaust guides is almost double that for the intakes.  I do
remember that Dave experienced very similar symptoms after installing
a new head.  Turned out this machinist had installed aftermkt seals
and one of the exhaust valve seals hadn't been properly seated.  Does
seem slightly bizarre but it's difficult to argue with success.

What have you come up with in the way of tools for valve removal/replacement?

joe