yep, thats how you do it without removing the whole thing.

John Robbins wrote:

Is there any decent way to remove the trailing arm bushings without dropping the entire rear subframe? With the differential, trailing arms, etc attached I imagine its a good 200lbs easy, which would be no fun to reinstall and prolly dangerous to remove. I was thinking of disconnecting the differential mount, and supporting the differential with a jack. Then lower one side of the subframe at at time. With each side lowered I could replace the subframe bushings and have access to remove the trailing arm bushings. Does this sound reasonable?

Are the axles really only held in with the one bolt in the center of the rear brake disk? Will I need to do anything special to push the axle out? The manual has a special tool to do that...

I am replacing the rear brake discs and pads, so will probably have those items removed when lowering the trailing arm to help out with weight... Driveshaft should be out shortly (waiting on paint to dry for the alignment mark), and rear shocks and springs are already removed.

Is anything I'm doing very stupid or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
John
'79 300SD