In a message dated 7/30/2005 10:28:39 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Now I'm trying to set the timing and I'm turning the distributor and  every
thing is fine at about 1000 RPM & 10 BTDC.

I turn the distributor clockwise just a hair more, and the rpms drop and  the
RPM's stumble and stalls.

What am I doing wrong.

And just to make sure, standing on the drivers side btdc is at the bottom
and ATDC is at the top.

This is all on my 72 250 W114 M130.

George,

Sounds like your idle speed is too high and your distributor is starting
it's centrifugal advance, which is separate from the vacuum  advance.   You've
got to take the reading with the idle speed down and if it speeds up as  you
advance the distributor,  adjust the idle down  again.

Sometimes you can't get enough adjustment so you have to push on the
throttle linkage until you see that the timing doesn't change with engine
speed.

The engine would be rotating CW as viewed from the front, so BTDC would  pass
the timing mark first, and be lower as viewed from the drivers side/

Keep going, some of your problems are like flashbacks of old movies!

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 261 K miles
98 ML 320, 137 K  miles