I found an unusual (to me) situation when replacing the rear brake
pads on one of my '95 E300D.  A dealer replaced the disks and pads at
some point just short of 300k mi, perhaps 2-1/2 years ago.  It's now
at 352k mi.  The rear brakes started  making noise, so today I started
replacing the pads myself.  When I removed the old pads on the left,
the outboard pad was gone and metal was rubbing the disk.  The inboard
pad was still like new and seemed to be siezed in the caliper.  The
right rear brake is in similar condition, but not quite as bad.  The
outboard pad is down to about 1/4 and the inboard pad is maybe at 3/4.

To sort this mess out, I removed both calipers.  There is no evidence
of leakage. And when I forced each pistion back (two per caliper) it
squirted fluid out the hose connections.  So the pistons don't seem to
be siezed.  But there is a lot of rust/corrosion around the pad guides
and pressure surfaces.  Has anyone else experienced this? What is the
source of this problem?  How do I correct it and avoid a repeat?  Can
I cleanup and rebuild the calipers?

Thanks
Ned Kleinhenz
'95 E300D x2