Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 86 190D 4 sale but AC doesn't work

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Dieselvolk,

I'm going to look at a '86 190D, 250,000, which does not have working AC.

I'm not scared of compressor issues, leaking hoses, etc., but I really don't want to have to replace an evaporator or do anything under the dash.

Any thoughts from the gurus on most likely suspect for AC with doesn't blow cold? I'm just looking for some ideas on the likely hood of various malodies, such as leaking evaporators to bad solder joints in the PB unit.

201 evaporators almost NEVER fail. If they do, they are replaced from
the engine side - pretty easy compared to E and S class cars (pull the
wiper mechanism and blower assembly and that allows you to change the
evaporator). A Nippendenso compressor (the shaft seal is probably what
has failed) IS expensive.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0
159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm