Interesting thread. I drove from Morristown TN to Murfreesboro Tn and back (500
miles) yesterday (8/1/05) and when I got to Murfreesboro, I heard a knock like
you described. I would pull over  and check underneath and find nothing. It
would come and go, seemingly at will. Stop and then start and no problem. I was
able to get it back home, with the last 60 miles no noise at all. My conclusion
is that I have a problem with the axle, and I believe it is on the right hand
side. I took a few turns at high speeds so maybe somehow this caused a problem.
I  will investigate further today, but did check and Rusty has these axles,
rebuilt for $108. Not bad. I will post my findings. I thought the problem could
be tires, driveshaft, even loose body parts or bouncing muffler. The only thing
is  my car is very tight, with  no rust evident.

Steve Bailey
1983 240D 108000 miles.