>I have been noticing that my oil gauge fluttered at idle around 20 psi but

>smoothed out as soon as it went up. I thought maybe it was a rough idle
>problem.Last night it started to flutter in the 30 range. Then coming down

>my street and  in the driveway I heard a light clattering noise in the
dash
>behind the cluster and the gauge fluttered at 40 psi. Noise would stop
when
>I pegged it at 45 psi. Anybody have any advice? I don't recall seeing this

>problem on the list over the past 3 years.
>TIA.
>Dwight

>Dwight Giles
>1979 240D auto 244k + miles
>Wickford, RI

I have a recollection of someone saying that if you have not replaced the
small rubber rings on the post that fits inside your oil filter that will
lead to fluctuation in this guage, as the old rings allow oil past them.
Not exactly sure, perhaps others on the list could confirm/deny this ?

Hope this helps,

Dan Elliott
82 300D-T 83kmi