I'm afraid I agree. In Texas a car with good compression should start even
with weak glow plugs, though it might take more than one cycle of the plugs.
So if the relay is working, there is either a problem with fuel delivery
(which could be as simple as stale diesel in the tank or a plugged filter),
a very weak (slow) starter, a compression issue, or some mix of all of
these.

In any case, this is at most a $300 car unless you need other items off it,
if worst comes to worst and it's a parts car. Then maybe $500.

It's unfortunate, as too many 116 SDs have gone the way of the dodo bird
over the last five years.

Does this auction allow inspections prior to bidding (as in, hood up, key in
ignition stuff)?

Mac