Rob,

No contest... late 80's, early 90's E-class (W124 chassis). You can
even get AWD if you can find a 4Matic that had the transaxle replaced.
I'd shoot for a 1990 300D 2.5T, the only 'ritual' is waiting a few
seconds for the glow light on a cold start. Hard to argue with
30-34mpg and all the Mercedes features...! (OK, ok, I am a wee bit
biased... I have three W124's plus one parts car and there are 2
others in my family.)

Although I might get flamed for this, I'm not a big fan of Camrys or
similar recycled beer cans... economical and reliable yes, safe in a
major crash, no. That's one of the major reasons I drive Mercedes...
anything short of a ready-mix truck with 12 yards of concrete on
board, and the odds are heavily in your favor! I kind of like Subaru
(especially the WRX STi) but I don't think they fare much better in
the crash survival metric.

:-)

Dave M.
Boise, ID