Steve MacSween wrote:

1. install engine and manual gearbox (4 spd) from a rusty 240d parts car at
a local shop, just swap drivelines complete, however the rusty car has 2x
mileage of my car.

Easiest.

2. install OM617 from a parts car. Question: I assume the automatic
transmissions are not the same? (If they are, I am over the moon as my 240d
has a 2-yr-old dealer reman tranny.)

Not quite as easy.

3. install OM617 with the 4 spd... this just hit me this moment, as I was
typing. (Can this be done? Is this the 4-spd also used in the six-cylinder
cars?)

Hardest. Need more hard-to-find parts for the swap, or re$ort to cu$tom fabrication. Ask me how I know, because I've accumulated everything but the time to make our 300TD a manny car.

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 267+kmi