redghost wrote:
> Owned a 95 civic for a few years.  Lots of them around the block.  You
> can always tell when they start up.  Razzy little tinny sound.  No
> authority like a diesel benz

If no one has taken the muffler off and replaced it with a fart can, you
can barely hear 'em idle at all.  At least until they get about 60,000
miles on 'em.  Then you get a bit of piston slap on cold mornings.  Goes
away as soon as you touch the throttle, though.

I had the Si hatchback version, with variable intake valve timing.  It
was a blast to drive hard.  It had a 7200 rpm redline; you could do 60
mph in second gear.  At roughly 4000 RPM it would switch intake cam
profiles and pull away nicely as the engine noise took on a more
aggressive edge.

There was a twisty little onramp near my house with a very short
accelleration lane.  I used to take the ramp at about 30 mph in 3rd,
then downshift to 2nd and floor it after rounding the final 90 degree
turn.  It'd leap forward, I'd hit third gear just short of redline,
merge into traffic, then shift straight into 5th.

If driven sanely, that car would get 39 mpg.  I usually got about 36. ;)
 Never would have sold it if the seats were better.