In a message dated 8/15/2005 9:38:20 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My '84  300DT likes to blow the fuse any time I floor the pedal and engage
the  kickdown. I have checked the switch and it tests ok. VOM is telling me
that
I  have a dead short in the solenoid. Has anyone replaced one of those
before? Is  there any good automatic transmission manual available for these
cars?

Ben,

I have replaced the one on my 79 300SD.  It is fairly simple to  replace,
just un screw the through bolt (about 22mm) and carefully lift  everything off.

If you get your replacement from a self service wrecker  first, you will see
the plunger and spring assy inside and know what to look for  when you take
yours off.  Make sure the plunger moves freely inside the  coil as a stuck
plunger is what can burn up the coil.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ