John Freer indignantly answers my post about the 140 previously discussed:

> <<Roger, you gotta be kiddin'!
>
> You mean to say that all them 500 engined MB's have "engine guts"
> problems? Oh those poor folks in their SL500's and E500's...

Seems to me I recently read a post from Herr Ritter over on his MB list about
V-8 problems including flat cam lobes and their oiler failures. And chain
guides. And more.

> <<Are you also saying that there are no MB's out there over 10 years old
> that haven't had an A/C problem? Just read on this List a few days ago
> that a new compressor was around 800.00 for a 201.>>

You betcha others have AC problems, but the percentages are vastly less than
the 140 and the cost to fix is less. I saw a cosmetically very well kept V8
140 at my dealer just last month with an evap leak and the pile of parts
removed
from the car just to access the failed component was half the size of the
car. OK, that's a slight exaggeration. The bill was going to be about four
grand.

> <<Front suspension issues were addressed early on according to my MB
> printout with an upgrade as a "goodwill" fix. The official "fix" was
> more than just a rebate on a new car purchase.>>

So what was new about the front end design of this model? Hasn't MB been
building front suspensions for big heavy models for decades? Did the 116 6.9
have
suspension problems? What about the 6.3? Or the 600?

> <<And regarding the door suckers, big deal. It's a 500 dollar repair and
> you can fix it if you want, no big deal. Sure beats the heck out of
> the 3,000.00 leaking head gaskets on the 6 cylinder gas E class MB's
> from that era.>>

My C280's M104 leaky headgasket was replaced under warranty and the cost
would have been about $1500, had I been billed. And it was a one time fix.

> <<And, BTW, most MB's of that era had lousy wiring harness's and weak
> evaporators.>>

Well, lets see. My '85 and '89 201s had no harness problems nor did my '95
C280. And my '01 C320's harness is an entirely different design and although it
looks cheap probably isn't and there is no sign of deterioration after four
plus years.

> <<I may be whistling in the dark but I refuse to have a battle of wits
> with the unarmed. OTOH, these old wife's tales are great for us that
> see the need to obtain the last great MB built for a reasonable price.>>

I grant you there have been lot of old wives and their tales on the various
MB lists but in this case there is plenty of evidence available. As far as
being unarmed, I have   been reading posts about the 140 on perhaps five MB
lists
for nearly ten years now. Plus, the Service manager at one of the local
dealers has been a friend for decades and I heard plenty about the 140 in the
early
years of the model. And at my dealer I am well acquainted with the service
employees and have heard the same stories.

And remember, even though a 140 can be bought cheap (ish) these days, you are
still repairing a 75 grand car.

Having said all that, I have driven a few 140s (plus the W220) and they are
marvelous to drive and ride in. The V8s have good power and can be driven
through gaps in traffic that are smaller than they are.

OK, have at it.

RLE