I've been asking questions about engine transplants and such, and it occurs
to me that perhaps I should back up and fill in the details of my story....

I received two weeks ago the w123 240d that I got off eBay back in late
June, from Texas. The car was listed as having a bad engine, seller said he
had been told by the Mercedes dealer two cylinders were dead. Has approx.
140k miles, verified as accurate by Carfax. It's very, very clean inside and
out except for the dash top... even by 'hot/dry state' standards. The engine
was almost unbelievably clean, nearly pristine in fact.

Now to back up further, the seller's story was that the original owner had a
stroke and was unable to drive the car, and he bought it after it had sat
for two years. During that time, the keys were lost.

He said he bought the car on the family's word that it was a gem, then took
the car to the dealer, they made a key and when they started it, bingo big
problems. He took it to an independent garage, which confirmed the dealer's
diagnosis: two dead cylinders. Plus the car would only go about 15 mph.

When I got it, it would barely run, shook like mad at idle and at higher
revs, and smoked like crazy, like a Navy exercise, both oil smoke and diesel
smoke (unburned). I began to attack it in increments.

1. First, the low speed condition is simply due to a broken linkage bushing
assembly, where the linkage exits the firewall. With it rigged in place, the
car makes some speed. (Throttle linkages are good when they work.)

2. I put in half a tank of fresh diesel with ATF mixed in and it ran better,
half the smoke. At this point I drove it and it pulled NICELY. So at this
point I am thinking that if this thing has two dead pots, my god it's the
fastest 2-cylinder diesel on planet earth. Things are not adding up.

3. I changed the fuel filters, and the (leaking like mad) primer pump, and
poured Purge into the big filter when I put it on, and it ran much better
and stopped smoking most of the time. But it still shook like mad.

4. So today a friend stopped by who has more diesel tools than I. Low and
behold we start it and it's now shaking less than before, but still way too
hard. So we cracked the injector lines. Loosening #1 an d #2 made no
difference to the engine at idle at all. The other two performed as you
would expect.

5. So we pulled the injectors out of #1 and #2 and did a compression test.
- #1 ZERO, no movement at all on the dial when cranking
- #2, shows strong movement right up to almost 500pds (yes, we checked this
twice)

6. Now my pal and I differ on our take on this: he says he believes #1
probably has a hole thru the piston. While I admire his Kresgin-like ability
to see through metal (LoL, have to or I would cry), I vote for a valve
problem. As for #2, it appears to be an injector issue or possibly a
delivery pressure issue (that is, pump).

OKAY, so here I sit. I now have a choice: either roll the 240d parts car
into the shop, swap out the engine with a known good one, then pull the
existing engine apart at my leisure, OR we pull the head off this one while
it is still in the car, and see what we have to pay the Piper.

Thoughts, ideas, most appreciated.

Mac
Aylmer, Quebec
'60 Mercedes 220s / '82 Mercedes 240d / more 240d parts cars on the way!
'75 Volvo 164e / '88 Volvo 245
Maybe a '90 Jetta TD....