I picked my tool up for about $150 on EBay used a few years back. I have seen them go for as little a $100. I believe Rusty used to have one of these available for rent. Rusty?

When it comes to doing these timing chains, please use the tool and have the peace of mind. Yes, the chain can be crimped by other means, but having done it both ways, I will never do one without the factory crimping tool again. The tool truly does a nice job of making the crimps. $150-200 is cheap for a tool versus what can happen if the chain should come apart.

Mathieu

At 11:47 AM 8/17/2005, you wrote:
dave walton wrote:
> Is this the correct tool?
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Double-Row-Timing-Chain-Press-Repair-Tool_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ4568203046 > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Double-Row-Timing-Chain-Press-Repair-Tool_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ4568203046>

That's quite a low price for that tool. With the proper jaws, the tool
used to be well over $200 and that was before the dollar dropped in
value. I figured they would be $300-350 by now.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0
159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
       Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
     http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm