Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OM617 Vacuum Pump

Here is my writeup on the 123 vac pump, which I redid a few months ago,
and lo it failed again a coupla days ago.  I have not had time to deal
with it yet, kinda odd that it would do that.  I think yours must be
different but same basic deal.

http://www.constructivity.net/rebuilding_the_vacuum_pump.htm

Anyway, maybe this will help.  The bolts on mine were allen head, maybe
5mm or 6mm by about an inch long (that would be 25mm I guess).  Nothing
special about them, basic metric pitch.  I think there were 5 or 6, a
dollar's worth at the hardware store.

--R

Stuart Saxonberg wrote:

Hi, list!

Yesterday, driving home, I heard an awful noise coming from the front of my car (w115 300D, OM617.910). As I pulled over, I noticed my power brakes were
no longer power, and the car didn't shut off when I turned the key.

Once I opened the hood, the reason was clear - the vacuum pump was no longer attached to the engine, and was hanging in place on its hoses, and the noise
was it rattling against the fan (fortunately, it caused no significant
damage to the fan, though there are a few nice chips out of one of the
blades from one of the screw or bolt caps on the pump casing.

Anyway, having ascertained that there doesn't appear to be anything missing
from the inside of the pump (which looks dead simple, thoroughly attached
and just like the new one on rusty's site), I've ordered a rebuild kit
(pre-emptively, since it's already off) and a new gasket.

I have a few questions, though:

1). Is there anything unusual or unobvious about putting it back on or
rebuilding it? It looks like it ought to be simple, but there's nothing in
the manual about it, so I thought I'd ask if there are any un-obvious snags.
Do I have to lubricate or seal anything in the pump, or the new rubber bit
for the rebuild?

2) Am I correct in thinking I just need to bolt it on with the new gasket?
No sealant is necessary, yes?

3) What kind of bolts do I need? (Hoping someone knows, somehow!) Since mine *fell off*, I don't have any, and Rusty's people say MB doesn't carry those
bolts anymore, so I'm going to have to buy some from a hardware store. If
anyone has one lying around for some reason, the size and pitch and length
would be very, very, very useful.

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Stuart S.
1976 300D w115 (OM617.910)