Brian,

Where in Arizona are you?  In and around Phoenix....????

Might be a reason for a mini-list Fest....  :>)

Chuck
Phoenix, AZ
1980 300SD

On Aug 20, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Brian Chase wrote:

Listers,

A basic question, so bear with me.

I'm finally in AZ to pick up my '83 240D. It was running pretty well when I
left it back in March, save some significant oil burnage.

Now there are 700 extra miles on it that weren't there when i left it, and I don't know for sure who may have used or abused it. Let's just say I'm not
pleased with my brother.

Question: It will not start now. The starter runs slowly and runs down to the point of almost not turning at all after a few seconds. So the battery
right? Well it checks out okay with a volt meter (goes down to 9 while
cranking and then recovers). And the battery is quite new.

So could it be the starter? Or, the other thought: If someone had run it out of motor oil and kept driving, would this be a possible symptom, i.e. the
engine being tight, but not siezed yet?

Again, excuse the simplicity of my query. Just using all the tools at my
disposal.

Oh yeah, I bought a one-way ticket out here, so it needs to get me back to
MN. WEEEEE.

Brian
83 240D 122,500 k Dammmit!