No, that one was on my 81 wagon. It lasted about 20K when I pulled the entire engine/tranny to drop another engine/tranny in it. No telling how long it would have gone.

Marshall Booth wrote:

Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:

But it sure didnt end that way. Did the oil change yesterday, put in delvac 1300(yea yea, not mobile one so my lifters will probably start tapping again). Today was the tranny filter change. I have been having a pretty decent leak from the b2 piston cover for a while so after I changed the fluid and put the pan back on, I pushed in the cover and reseated it thinking maybe that would seal it back up. Didnt have another o-ring so just wanted to do that real quick and see. Boy did that turn out to be a disaster. Filled tranny back up, went for a test drive. It was on the way back as i was pulling into the driveway I noticed a stream of something that have followed me out of the drive. Fluid was just blowing right out of the thing now. Crap. Ok, so I popped the clip off the b2 piston, popped the cover off, pulled the piston out, then pulled out the o-ring, it was split in half. Crap, dont have another one. Well I just pulled the b2 piston ect out of another tranny I had in the garage and used its seal on the SDL. That sucker is a bitch to get back in the little groove it fits in. Got it all put back together, fulled tranny back up, no more leaks. Shifts great now too. In the mean time, I must have had my head off the end of the creaper under the car laying in a big pool of tranny fluid. By the time I got done it looked like I had taken a bath in tranny fluid. I didnt think I was ever going to get that crap out of my hair. I tried hand cleaner, then dish soap, followed by shampoo. I think its all out now. What a day.

Is that the B-2 piston you replaced without replacing the plastic bushing/guide? I quote the late Randy Durrance:

After replacing the B-2 piston on my wife's 300TDT twice, I can answer the
question about the "required" bushing. I didn't replace it the first time.
Being a Mercedes Tech for 20 years or so, I had replaced the bushings on
customer cars...but this was mine and I was in a hurry.
If you have a B-2 piston that has failed (i.e., blown to tiny bits) there
will usually be some galling (wear marks) on the nose of the piston. I failed
to notice these marks on the first one. Since the piston has no return spring,
it relies on pressure to push it back and forth. As the transmission housing
wears, the piston can (and does) rock slightly in the bore. If the piston gets
stuck when the B-2 band tries to release, pressure builds behind the piston
until it moves. When the sticking piston is forced outward, it smacks into the
B-2 piston cover and shatters. To get to the point...the substitution of the
plastic guide bushing as well as the modified B-2 piston outer seal are meant
to keep the piston from sticking in the applied position.
  Randy D.

Marshall

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE,