-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mitch Haley
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 12:36 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Power steering question-240D

"Dwight E. Giles, Jr." wrote:

> Can I use Mercon/Dexron ATF in my PS pump to top it off? Owners'
manual
> just says ATF-no type specified.

If it's got red stuff in it now, you can.
Otherwise, flush the system out with dexIII/mercon so you know what's in
it.

But the fact that you're asking this question implies that you've never
changed the fluid. I'd at least change the fluid in the reservoir and
replace the filter. When I bought my 300SD, there was NO filter in the
bottom of the reservoir. Some maroon had removed it and never put a
new one in, or even returned the dirty filter to its' home.