Disagree Doctor. From the MS State U Extension site:
http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is1621.html

1. FYI:
"Consider Used Oil as Equipment Fuel:
Waste engine oil and hydraulic oil also can be
filtered (5 micron filter or smaller) and burned in a
diesel solution in tractors and in other equipment. A
good starting point is 90 percent diesel and 10
percent oil, although up to 100 percent oil use is
possible with good filtration and preheating. Be sure
to check with the engine manufacturer before burning
waste oil in engines under warranty. With vegetable
oil prices low (20 cents or less per pound) and diesel
prices high, soybean or cotton seed oil blends with
diesel fuel may be economical."

2. But mainly that, from the same site, motor oil is
150,000 BTU/gallon. D2 is 140,000 BTU/gal (another
site puts it as low as 128,000 BTU/gal)...lets plit
the difference: 134,000 BTU/gal. motor oil has 12%
more energy. My coworkers 240D gets 33mpg hwy
(65mph)...33 * 1.12 = 37 mpg. Agreed, not 41, but
closer to 41 than low 30's.

Christopher