From: "Brian Chase" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] No Start Question  My poor 240
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:20:38 -0700

Thanks for the input. However, it seems the engine is siezed. We eliminated the battery, the battery cables, the starter as problems. We pulled off the fan & shroud and attempted to bar the engine over, and it won't move. Yes, it's out of gear.

What could cause this? I remind you that I was not the one who drove it leading up to this, so just what happened is shrouded in mystery.

There is currently plenty of oil on the dipstick and it shows no signs of water. No signs of water as you look into the oil filler hole either. The coolant level in the radiator is below the baffle, but I pulled a heater hose, and some poured out, so it seems it was not run dry?

Of course we don't know if someone re-filled the oil and/or the coolant to cover their ass.

Just trying to figure this out.

Where do I go from here? I really want to keep the car. Not sure I want to trust a used engine from a junk yard. I called Rusty's outfit, and was told they don't sell rebuilt engines.

Guess I'll have someone rebuild it? Sorry, listers, I don't feel confident to attempt it myself.

Any thoughts? Need to find a truly trustworthy mechanic in the Tucson area, or the Rochester, Minnesota area if I choose to haul it back there with me.

Brian
83 240D 122k