George,

You can use vacuum to set a your idle mixture and your timing.

Concerning your idle mixture:
You adjust your idle mixture down until your vacuum just starts to drop off
them you adjust it up until your vacuum just starts to drop off. The correct
setting is in the middle of the two.

Concerning your timing:
You loosen the distributor and move it back & forth until the maximum vacuum
is reached.
Then you lock down the distributor & go for a short test drive while
listening for detonation.
Adjust the timing back & test drive until you hear no detonation, then set
your timing back another 2 degrees.
This may take several test drives.
Set your idle speed to where it belongs.

Notes:
You need to reset your idle mixture after setting your timing.
This procedure assumes you are running the correct octane gas for the car &
its not a fix for running lower grade gas then the engine was designed for.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
256-656-1924
www.kegkits.com