Alan Duff wrote:
> My method is to first be sure you have clean fuel in the car. Drain,
> refill and use the hand pump if necessary. Put a fully charged battery on
> the car. Use jumper cables to connect another fully charged battery to it.
> Spray a few shots of WD-40 into the air intake. Turn the glow plugs on and
> be sure they are working, easy on the '80 model. Heat the glow plugs eight
> or ten times. Turn the key until the engine starts or the battery drains.
> Often the engine will fire the cylinders in succession and you may have to
> hold the key on start until all five cylinders have fired.

I find, on both Mercedes and VW diesels I've driven, it's also helpful
to hold the accellerator down part way while cranking.  1/4 throttle is
usually plenty.  The idea is to raise the idle speed enough to keep it
from dying until all the cylinders light off, so you should back off as
the engine picks up speed.  I had a tired VW diesel for a while that
would never start cold unless you held 1/2 throttle.