Royce,

Thats one of the things I'll look at, but If the solenoid was bad I can't see the starter engaging at all. I have tried wriggling the shifter but that didn't help. I have the electrical troubleshooting manual and I'm going to try and track down what in the circuit can go wrong. I'm leaning towards an ignition switch or the neutral lockout. It was stated that the neutral switch is in line with the backup lights but whether that means anything or not I'll have to check.

Thanks,

Dennis Perkins
84 300SD

Hi Dennis,

I started my '85 300TD for a couple of years that way when it refused to
start.  In fact, I used to carry a short length of battery cable to jump
directly from the battery to those terminals.  I don't think I ever did any
damage.  I finally determined that the problem was the solenoid on the
starter, the result of buying cheap rebuilt starters at the McParts places.
When I figured that out, I bought a brand new Genuwyne Bosch starter that
spins the engine faster and starts much better.  Haven't had a problem
since.

Royce Engler
1985 300TD Turbo 265K