That's exactly right. Two list members who tried the 0W-40 had lifter
noise return on their OM603 engines, and one noticed a significant
increase in iron wear particles in the oil analysis. Reverting to
5W-40 or 15W-50 cured both issues... lifters quieted down and iron
wear went back to normal.

Another use for thin oil is in search of peak power. Racing engines
are sometimes fed watery thin stuff like 0W-20 which will give a
percent or two peak power gain over thicker oils. But those engines
are also torn down way more often than our street engines.

I'd say AMG and Porsche specify the 0W-40 because it's a compromise
between peak power & MPG (super thin) and best protection/longevity
(relatively thick). YMMV, I'm not saying it's bad oil (it's not), just
that for MY engines I perfer Delvac-1 5W-40 (aka M-1 T&S).

=)

-dm