Don wrote bout changing oil wearing Khaki's.
I picked up a 1974 240d 115 4 speed manual that runs and drives and is actually a lot of fun! I've been going through it and learning a great deal. Ihave a friend who has worked as a Tech for the local MB Dealer for 30 years and loves to put me on speker phone at the shop so all the techs can have a good laugh at my questions! When I asked him about changing the oil, filters, etc. because the car hadn't been driven in 5 years, he told me I'd get so dirty that my girl wouldn't let me come near her for a month! So rather than a month of Celibacy, what's the trick with the filter so I won't get too dirty? I like the Topsider idea, my dad and I used to change the oil in his boat with a little electric pump that hooked up to the battery, then you snaked a tube down the dipstick. Worked great and you could do it on water. So..... Rather than giving all the MB Tech's another hearty laugh this week, can somebody walk me through what I need to do to change the oil in my '74 diesel? Like, how many filters, where and how to change and what's a "diesel purge"?

Thanks so much!

FRED DE VRIES