Alan Duff wrote:
Just bought a 83 300D. The brake pedal is rock hard and only moves down a quarter inch or so and the car is slow to stop. The brakes don't seem to drag. Don't recall having this type of problem before. My thoughts are
1. Stuck piston in a brake caliper
2. Stuck master cylinder.
Any ideas?

The vacuum brake booster is NOT working. Usually the problem isn't the booster but the vacuum supply to the booster - often a leak, occasionally the vacuum pump.

First test. With engine off, and foot pressing on the brake pedal, start the engine. The pedal should drop about 1/2" and feel "softer" as vacuum builds over a few seconds. If it doesn't the the booster isn't working. If the engine stops when you turn off the key, there is at least SOME vacuum (as the shutoff valve is vacuum operated) and I'd start to investigate the line from the vacuum pump to the brake booster.

It gets more complicated from there depending on what you find.

Check this link: http://skinnerbox.steaky.org/Service/W123/Index/Groups/43BrakeBooster.htm

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm