More refineries to handle the market forces demanding more fuel be processed. Somebody's processor/refiner is down for weeks on end, and if there were some elasticity, there would be no massive fluctuations in supply when jim bob dork pokes a hole in the pipeline, or a slight breeze closes down a few oil rigs