[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Holed Piston!!?  How could that happen?

Relax, this is the worst case answer. But to address your question, usually
due to long-term poor injector spray pattern.

> How do I do a compression test on this engine?

Remove the injectors and screw in a diesel compression tester and crank,
similar to how you would screw the tester into the spark plug holes in a gas
engine. If you don't own a diesel compression tester, you may as well have a
shop do it as the diesel testers are $$$ for a decent one.

> I'm not sure it will idle but I guess the one that doesn't make it stop is the
> one.

If your engine won't idle, it sounds to me like you have a general fuel
system problem, not just one bad injector.

Does the engine run as though it has a dead cylinder at all rpm ranges, and
under load, or just while idling?

Have the injectors ever been tested/cleaned and/or rebuilt?

Did this come on gradually or suddenly (for example, after a fillup)?

Mac
Aylmer, Quebec
'60 220s / '82 240d (x2!!) / .5 of an '83 300sd
'75 Volvo 164e