While some of us need to worry about replacing locks before they
don't unlock and it becomes nearly impossible to drive our cars without
first using very serious power tools, i guess owners of newer benzes
needn't be troubled at least about that.. i just read this on the RISKS
digest:

Isildur
'82 240D 257kmi

:Mercedes car-door locking functionality
<"Leon Kuunders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:56:48 +0200

Last week I watched the chauffeur of a Mercedes car. There was a parking
spot left just in front of another Mercedes. Both different types, though
fairly new. As I watched by the chauffeur got out of her car and pushed
the
button on the remote control to close the doors.

The system worked. The doors of the Mercedes closed. The already parked
Mercedes responded with a happy 'click' and opened it's doors. The
chauffeur, confident the click was her car telling everything was fine,
didn't pay attention, until I pointed her to the fact that she opened the
other Mercedes..

She tried several times. When her car opened the other one closed. And
vice
versa. But she didn't see it as a problem, she could close the doors of
her
car and walk away.  Until I pointed out the system probably worked the
other
way round as well ...