Diesel listers, we have a list member (lurker) in a spot of trouble. Jim
Vogel is stranded in Greenville, IL (about an hour east of St. Louis on
I-70) with a 1984 300D that has a severe transmission fluid leak. He says he
stopped for diesel and dinner, and when he came out he saw a trail of ATF.
He drove it a few parking spots over, and the trail followed his car. It was
dark and he couldn't see where the leak was coming from, but he says the
puddle was pretty big. He drove it from Columbus, OH to Greenville without
issue. He says that the car isn't leaking now that the engine is cold.

He's trying to get to Kansas City, MO as his final destination. So a couple
of issues:

1) Can anyone isolate the problem from this description?
2) Is there any lister close to him that can help him in any way?
3) Can anyone name a mechanic near his location that can help him soon?
4) Is there any simple way to make this car driveable again?

Tomorrow's Sunday, so he knows he's pretty stuck. His cell phone number is
412-610-9235. He's probably asleep now, but if you'd call and leave a
message I'm sure he'd be most grateful.

Thanks for all your help.
--
Sunil Hari