Diesel listers, we have a list member (lurker) in a spot of trouble. Jim

Vogel is stranded in Greenville, IL (about an hour east of St. Louis on
I-70) with a 1984 300D that has a severe transmission fluid leak. He
says he
stopped for diesel and dinner, and when he came out he saw a trail of
ATF.
He drove it a few parking spots over, and the trail followed his car. It
was
dark and he couldn't see where the leak was coming from, but he says the

puddle was pretty big. He drove it from Columbus, OH to Greenville
without
issue. He says that the car isn't leaking now that the engine is cold.

He's trying to get to Kansas City, MO as his final destination. So a
couple
of issues:

1) Can anyone isolate the problem from this description?
2) Is there any lister close to him that can help him in any way?
3) Can anyone name a mechanic near his location that can help him soon?
4) Is there any simple way to make this car driveable again?

Tomorrow's Sunday, so he knows he's pretty stuck. His cell phone number
is
412-610-9235. He's probably asleep now, but if you'd call and leave a
message I'm sure he'd be most grateful.

Sunil/Jim,

I had a sudden onset ATF bleedout in one of my 300D's about 2 months
ago.  The kickdown solenoid had loosened and blown out from the rear of
the transmission.  If this has happened to you Jim, The leak is at the
rear of the transmission, just to the right of the output shaft.  Mine
was completely gone.  I had to buy the coil and the armature (the center
bolt like affair that has come unscrewed.  I tried in vain for several
days for a used one.  The used guys wouldn't take a part off the
transmission.  Finally broke down and went to the M/B dealer and got it
(with the electric plug listed as not available).  Maybe Rusty at
http://www.buymbparts.com/ can help.

Sorry for your woes,
David J. Carter